Get To Know: L.E.A.D.
What is the purpose of L.E.A.D.?
The purpose of L.E.A.D. (which stands for “Launch, Expose, Advise and Direct,” is to empower an at-risk generation of young men to lead and transform their city.
That purpose has led our organization to work on solving one of the biggest problems facing Atlanta. Although we are home to several Fortune 100/500 companies, we have one of the highest dropout rates in the country; specifically amongst African-American males. About 60-percent of African-American male students will not graduate from high school in Atlanta Public Schools.
Along with our purpose, we have a set of our values that we adhere to. Those core values include:
- That every young person is entitled to an opportunity to be successful
- That athletics can provide valuable life lessons and access to educational, civic engagement and career opportunities
- That financial obstacles should not be allowed to be a barrier to a young man’s pursuit of his love for athletics and his need for appropriate training.
- That young people learn to lead by leading and understand their value by being valued.
- Greatness in sports should be defined by a student-athlete’s service to his community as much as for his stats on the field of play.
How does L.E.A.D. fulfill this purpose?
L.E.A.D. fulfills it’s mission by providing young men in Atlanta with the opportunity to participate in a 12-month comprehensive program that focuses on four pillars of excellence including: athletics, academics, commerce and civic responsibility.
Our 12-month comprehensive program exists to eradicate the high dropout rate in Atlanta. The program includes: year-round academic and mentoring support; baseball training and competition; community service requirements and enrichment activities.
Our Ambassador program has seen a 100-percent high school graduation rate. Additionally, 92-percent of the young men who participate in the L.E.A.D. Ambassador program receive baseball scholarship opportunities at the collegiate level.
How would L.E.A.D. benefit from and/or use additional monetary support?
L.E.A.D. would benefit by allocating funds towards the 9-month L.E.A.D. Middle School Character Development League which serves over 300 middle school male students from Atlanta Public Schools. Growth of this program is critical to further reduce the high school dropout rate in Atlanta.
How else can people become involved with L.E.A.D.?
Our young men benefit from mentors who are business leaders. Additionally, if you have a community service opportunity in Atlanta, let us know. Supporting L.E.A.D. participants in their games is also appreciated. Finally, keep in touch with us through our social media streams to learn about upcoming events.
CONNECT WITH L.E.A.D.